Monday, January 02, 2012

The House of MG, Ahmedabad.

Our journey to the colourful state of Gujarat began with Ahmedabad. Having read so much about the architecture, the heritage and the people we chose a place which would be a gateway to all these.

The House of MG in short for The House of Mangaldas Giridhardas is a heritage mansion built in 1924 and belonged to the wealthy textile businessman. It has been converted to a beautiful hotel which still retains it's old world charm.

It is located in the Old City of Ahmedabad just walking distance from the 'Teen Darwaza' the oldest gateway of the city established by Sultan Ahmed Shah.
mg1
Antique photographic shrine of Sri & Srimati Mangaldas.

The whiff of subtle floral incense sticks along with the stream of winter sunlight welcomed us into this heritage mansion and I at once knew our stay here would be a memorable one.
mg23

mg3
Floating rose petals spreading their fragrance in the open courtyard.

mg14
Geometrical patterned tiles lead us into the heart of the mansion and the past seemed to come alive with the corridor walls forming a canvas of vintage portraits of the Mangaldas family.

mg15
Portrait of Champagauri.

mg13
On catching the glimpse of the antique swing against the terracotta walls a soft squeal escaped my mouth which triggered a giggle from my daughter.

mg17
Managed to photograph this stunning piece of furniture without capturing my reflection and followed the patterned path wondering at what else the mansion was going to unravel.

mg22
Wooden staircase leading to the various rooms.

mg18
Entrance to one of the fourteen luxurious rooms in the mansion.

mg20
The central courtyard with smooth ceramic mosaic work.

mg4
Outside our room
mg5
The walls are peppered with black & white photographs of the Malgaldas family.

mg8
Inside our room.

mg6
We had a traditional Gujarati swing in the room!

mg7
Loved the lighting idea, it's a yellow tube light fitted on a wooden plank with holes. The effect is that of spotlights!

mg11

mg12
Tastefully done up corners of the room.

mg9
The lobby area has a small idol of Lord Krishna seated on a swing and the oil lamps illuminate the space as the sun sets on the old city of Ahmedabad.

mg10
A family portrait of the Mangaldas family then and now...

The air fills up with the heady fragrance of incense inside while there is hauntingly beautiful 'Adhan' call for prayer from the Sidi Saiyed Jali Mosque opposite the House of MG.

This post is probably the longest one on Rang Decor till date and really hope all of you like it as much as I have loved sharing it with all of you:-)

You can see the slideshow of photographs of The House of MG here.

( Images by Arch)

31 comments:

notyet100 said...

Wow ,..place is so beautiful..

Madhu Gopalan said...

OMG Archana, this is beyond beautiful! Gorgeous mansion! And your photos make it even more gorgeous!

grk3 said...

Wonderful pics and well written, Archana.

I was there last Jan 2011 and really enjoyed the stay and the food!

Corners and Moments said...

How beautiful lighting ! Loved the details and Rajasthan is such a colours' galore. This place is going on my bucket list when we visit India next time. :) Thanks for sharing yet again.

Corners and Moments said...

P.S - I particularly loved the portrait - so beautiful !

pRiyA said...

I must have held my breath through the entire time I went through this post. Phew! Such beauty, such warmth and so much taste.
Yes, I enjoyed it Arch and thanks for taking the time to bring this to us.
So so so...beautiful. Bless you.

Amtrips said...

Just one word...! Nostalgic :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Archana.

Happy New Year :):) Wat an amazing start !!!!!! OMG :):) Splendid place and u captured it terrificly .wow!!!!

Monica

Sujata Shah said...

Thanks for this lovely tour!
great to see old architecture and decor intact in a place.
Those portraits reminded me of old family photos we have back home.. fond memories!

GB said...

You managed to capture the serenity of the space beautifully, Archana!

What a lovely way to ring in the new year--wish you a wonderful 2012!

Prashant Bhardwaj said...

What photos! Awesome!

Vineeta said...

I have always been curious about House of MG. And now I got to see it through your eyes. And how. Thank you for the brilliant coverage. Vintage Archana style.

Anitha said...

Lovely post to start the year with Archana! Have a wonderful year ahead!

~Anitha.

Purvi said...

I loved the architecture but the best part were all the b&w and sepia toned family pictures....vintage and full and memories :)

Neha@ All things beautiful said...

What a gorgeous looking space...must have been lovely to stay here.
Happy new year, Archana!

krishnan said...

apart from these beautiful photos, your description about these places is really wonderful, we felt as if we had been to this place

Sudha said...

Such a wonderful trip..I am drooling over every pic and all the exquisite furniture pieces in this place :)...thanks for sharing your experience :)

Reshma at masalamangomantra.blogspot.com said...

What a beautiful bungalow...or is that a mansion? Lovely pictures!

Kavitha said...

lovely post. heard about this place from a friend... hope to stay there when i visit Ahd next (was just there 2 weeks ago for a short trip)

usa home designer said...

What a beautiful and cosy house! I would love to have it as my own house. Lol! :P

bhumika said...

Being from a'bad, this post fills me with pride. I've never stayed in the House of MG but have visited it for the sumptuous gujarati thalis. Thanks for giving a peek into this enchanting heritage home.

Iniyaal said...

Wonderful coverage of a house full of history and beauty. The antique portraits and furnitures are breath takingly beautiful.

Neena Paul said...

Archana: I discovered your blog recently and wanted to say how wonderful it is……love your taste and
photos! i'll be in bangalore in March to visit my parents, i would love to have coffee if you have the time.

neena.
bythebananatree@gmail.com

Interior Ideas said...

I'm always mesmerized by Indian culture and tradition. Glad I found this site. Thanks!

Neeta said...

OMG! Im dumb struck!
Just beautiful!

Emreen said...

Love all the resort features you do , Arch... !! Beautiful pictures... Love the small book shelf, the swing and the lighting idea... !!

Wish you a happy and successful 2012!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Archana!!

This is great!! its amazing how you manage to find these hidden trasures (atleast for me) in India. Your blog is a definite reference point for me whenever we will plan a vacation!!

Sound Horn Please said...

The diaphanous ecru curtains, saris hanging from the ceiling and oh that swing! What is not to love in the mansion! :)

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and love it! I stayed at Shaam-E-Sarhad and The House of MG a few years ago. Both were wonderful experiences and I'd love to go back. I loved everything about House of MG, but the family photos were so special. I also came home wanting a swing chair in my house!

Rajasthan tours said...

Awesome pictures!!!

Minal said...

Hi,
You came to Ahmedabad! Man, I wish i had seen your blog earlier. I am a lover of your blog on mallika but i did not know you had this one too until I dropped here from vineeta's blog!
I have live in Ahmedabad and House of MG is a regular affair but trust me I have not seen it in as much detail in person as I saw in your pictures:P Blame it on my lack of observation!
Nevertheles, lovely post and lovely blog!
Warmly,
Minal