Sunday, September 06, 2009

Vermilion House

Tucked away in the leafy Cleveland Road in Frazer Town, Bangalore is Vermilion House.
Vermilion House has many beautiful facets to it. Vermilion House is an antique store started a couple of decades ago, where you will find antiques sourced by Uma Rao who has the eye of a connoisseur from various parts of India.Here you will find painstakingly restored antique furnitures, unique artifacts, Tanjore and Mysore school of paintings, lithographs, traditional lamps, paintings by contemporary artists and many more...Vermilion House also exhibits work by various NGOs. Here you see hand blockprinted wrapping papers and gift items made by one of the NGOs.
Vermilion House also has Edgeware- The Frame Shop by Bina Rao who will help you find the perfect frame for your treasured artworks and paintings. Edgeware has a range of frames in various finishes -Teakwood, Rosewood, Coloured, Antique, Ornate.

Bina Rao will help customise the frames with various mounts like silk, handmade paper etc to give your paintings/photographs that picture perfect look, that will enhance any interior.
They have a Book Reader's Club where serious book lovers join in once a month for book reading sessions and enjoy the coffee morning:-) They have a selection of books on interiors, art and also by Asian and Indian Authors.Purvi Patel of Vermilion House is a designer who revives old hand-embroidery techniques on blouses, kurtas etc
If you are passionate about antiques, paintings, artifacts, hand- embroidery, customised frames for your interiors, this is your one-stop shop.

You can get in touch with Uma or Bina or Purvi at
Vermilion House
3/12 Cleveland Road Cross
Frazer Town, Bangalore-5, Tel- 080-41225830

Hope you enjoyed this store tour, do write in and tell me:-)

27 comments:

arundati said...

lovely post.... must visit vermillion house on my next trip.

Bhavna Bhatnagar said...

Beautiful! I can spend hours in a place like this. Am so tempted to go through the book collection sitting on one of the antique planter chairs :)

Dithi said...

What a pretty store! I will most definitely visit if I am in Bangalore. I am drooling over the antique paintings and portraits. I am intrigued especially by the portrait of a Maharaja in the 12th photo Archana, could you tell us a little more about that portrait? I mean, the style of work, etc.
Thanks for this post!

Have a great week ahead!

dee

Rajee Sood said...

drooling ... still drooling... drooling ...

~mE said...

WOW so cool, this is like backyard for me..:) I will check out this place over the weekend
thanks for sharing

Sunita Mohan said...

That open bookcase stuffed with books is so very tempting!
I seriously think I need to make a trip to Bangalore. I'm in the mood to splurge right now ( yummy pictures always do that to me!)

Kitty said...

i long to visit. hope i can sometime! thanks

Kavitha said...

What a treasure trove!!!
You can see when someone does it with passion.

Shalini said...

What an interesting place! I loved all the mirrors and carved furniture.

Petra said...

Another perspective: I visited this place a couple of days ago, after seeing your post. Unfortunately, it was a real let-down for me..The stuff was just all over the place and there was no real upkeep or finish to the antique stuff. I left disappointed.

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

Petra- Everyone's perspective and views are welcome.

RupaB said...

Ohhhh.....I wish I had read this post earlier as I was in B'lore last week and would have loved browsing through the store.

Mélanie said...

wonderful place. I love everything in it

Sunita Mohan said...

I think its a very good thing I don't live in Bangalore . I'd probably spend all my waking hours at Vermilion House (I'm sure they must have lovely cots too, right?) and will end up bankrupting the family in one week flat!
BTW, if you'll drop by my blog, there's an award waiting for you.
http://the-urban-gardener.blogspot.com/2009/09/one-lovely-award.html

Liz.Photo said...

thank you for the beautiful tour

Simya said...

missing ur posts...its almost a month....

S S said...

Hey
I loved the tour! Got to make a note of the place.. but why aren't you updating Rang colours of life and Cup of chai?
I really miss them!!!
You are really the one who makes blogsphere home! Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blog! A feast for the eyes.

Sharmishtha

Vineeta said...

Brilliant place! In my next visit to Bangalore must pop in here. And i hope to pop in at your place as well :)

Kcalpesh said...

Couldn't really take my eyes off any of those pictures! The place looks really awesome!

- Pixellicious Photos

Gypsy Purple said...

Totally LOVE the painting in the 5th picture!!!!

Anil P said...

What a wonderful escape from the busy street this must be! Interiors that've saved the past for the visitor.

Sandy said...

You have some very eye-catching ideas and pictures put on your blog! Thank you. It inspires creativity.
Cheers
Sandy

Sudha said...

Hey archana

was looking forward to see your posts on diwali. take care

sudha

Deepa Gopal said...

Perfect Place!! Beautiful shots and lovely treasure trove...would want to own everything there:)

Anonymous said...

Love the collectible, fond of Poorvi's work as well...Great work good going'

A Sunny Yellow Window said...

Awesome, a Perrrfect place for a Saturday!! (probably closed on Sundays ;) Thanks for this post.. I gotta visit the place soon.