Thursday, July 19, 2007

Art & Crafts of India #2: Indian Hand Embroidery

Indian Hand Embroidery entices us with its vibrant colours, the intricate designs and the effort put in by the skilled craftsmen.
There are various styles of embroidery in India & from different regions and it would be an enormous task to cover all of them in one small post.

Some of the well-known styles are Phulkari, Chikan, Kantha, Banjara, Rabari, Mirrorwork, Zardozi and you can read more about Indian Embroidery Styles here.

So here are some of the interesting styles...
Colourful cushion covers from Shrujan

The vibrant craft can be brought into your homes in the form of home accessories like cushion covers, bedsheets, door hangings, wall hanging and many more.

Bedsheet from Indiascrafts


Fantastic wall hanging from Shrujan
Cushion Covers from Shrujan
Door hanging from Indiascraft
Hand Embroidery bed cover from Anokhi
Amazing cushion covers from Tilonia
This white on cream is a dream:-) from Tilonia
Love this from Shrujan

Silver & Gold from Shrujan
Lovely combination from Anokhi
My mirrorwork cushion cover picked up from a Crafts Fair:-)

( Images from Shrujan, Tilonia, Anokhi & Indiascraft)

15 comments:

Bhaw said...

OOOOH look at the colors !!! totally energising Arch !!! Have a supah colorful weekend now ! :D

Green Mirchi said...

how beautiful... I think we can feel safe that the variety of handicrafts India presents will allow us to keep blogging forever and ever!!:)Thanks for this post.

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

bhaw- Thanks a lot..glad you liked it..U too have a great weekend:-)

Pacchai- Thanks:-)
You bet, the treasure trove that India is for handicrafts we can keep posting :-)

Anonymous said...

wowow what a treat for the eyes. The oranges and the yellows and the browns.. lovely door hanging and bedsheets.great post arch. There is such a wealth of handicraft that India has to offer ..Are all these stores in Banglore??

Vinita

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

Vinita= Glad you liked it..Thanks:)

Anokhi has branches in India & abroad too
Shrujan -I think have branches in India.
Indiascraft & Tilonia - You can shop online:-)

Anonymous said...

The pictures are breathtaking. I appreciate Indian hand work so much!!
I have lots, but none as pretty as your photographs!

Thanks for your comment yesterday.
You brightened my day.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. If/when I go to India next year I'll need a huge suitcase!

katiedid said...

Such beautiful things! I can't resist.

Julie at Belle Vivir said...

I love all kinds of embroidery especially suzzanie

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I am passionate, and I mean PASSIONATE about Indian embroideries and textiles. If I lived in India, I would be broke b/c I would spend every single rupee on beautiful things. I don't know how you control yourself:-)

katiedid said...

P.S.
Tag, your it!
Players list 8 facts/habits about themselves. At the end of the post, players then tag 8 people by posting their names and making sure they know they've been tagged by leaving a comment at the tagee's blog.
;-)
Katie

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

rochambeau, britt-arnhild, katiedid

Thanks a lot for your lovely comments...glad you liked it :-)

Julie- Welcome- Thanks:-)

Maryam- Space is the only constraint ;-)

Bhavna Bhatnagar said...

Pretty pretty! You have selected absolutely gorgeous pieces from some of my favorite shopping haunts! :)

Jillian Renee said...

Lovely...I will be returning to your blog often.

*** Hema *** said...

Very beautiful collection... love the vibrant colors and the classic designs... New to the blog, but im sure I will be a regular visitor now :)